Champagne Fun Facts
Use any of these fun facts about Champagne as a conversation starter at your Holiday parties.
· By the law of averages, you are more likely to be killed by a flying Champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.
· The speed of a popped Champagne cork ranges between 35 and 100 miles per hour.
· High-society dandies in 19th-century England insisted that the only way to properly polish boots was with Champagne.
· Scientists with way too much time on their hands have actually created a formula to measure how many bubbles there are in a standard 750-ml bottle of Champagne. Answer: between 44 and 57 million bubbles.
· A neat bar trick: A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh Champagne will continually circulate from the bottom of the glass to the top and back again.
· To build a pyramid of Champagne glasses for a Champagne cascade, the following ratio is considered best:
Base level=60 glasses
Reprinted by arrangement with Penguin, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc., from ALCOHOLICA ESOTERICA by Ian Lendler.Copyright Â© Ian Lendler, 2005