- 1 (1-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or enough to generously coat bottom of skillet
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 6 ripe medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice
Wash chicken pieces thoroughly and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat until oil ripples slightly. Arrange chicken in skillet in a single layer, working in batches if necessary, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Add onions, garlic, bay leaves and parsley, season with salt and pepper and cook, shaking pan occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until onions are pale golden color. Be careful not to burn garlic.
Reduce heat to low, add tomatoes and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. (Meat should not be pink, and dark meat juices should run clear. Kitchen thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh should read 160F.) Spoon over rice and serve hot.