In sunny Los Angeles, the panzanella (or bread salad, see recipe below) at rising-star restaurant Culina (culinarestaurant. com) is Chef Victor Casanova’s favorite fit for rosé, and a great way to use up a leftover loaf.
- Rustic country loaf, exterior removed then cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 C fresh ripe watermelon, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 red onion, julienne
- 1/2 bunch basil, torn into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 english cucumber, cut into1/2 inch half-moons
- 4 oz. ricotta salata, coarsley grated
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, passed thru a food mill
- 4 oz. DaVero Champagne Vinegar
- 3 oz. DaVero Extra Virgin Olive Oil "Dry Creek Estate"
- S&P, to taste
Toast bread in pre-heated oven at 375 degrees until well colored but not brown.
Take the 4 vine-ripened tomatoes and pass thru a food mill then combine in a large salad bowl with vinegar and Oil.
Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Combine all ingredients and toss well.
Season to taste.