- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 sourdough baguette, sliced 1Â¼8 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1 pint yellow or red cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 7 ounces Bucheron or other goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted and cooled
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 12 large fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 350F. In a skillet, melt the butter with the shallot over moderately low heat. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to flavor the butter and soften the shallot. Brush the shallot butter on one side of each slice of baguette. Arrange the baguettes on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, using the same skillet, warm the olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the slivered garlic and sauté, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Remove from the heat and add the quartered tomatoes and salt; toss to coat well. Set aside.
Coarsely chop the toasted pine nuts. Add the cracked pepper and stir to mix thoroughly.
Form the goat cheese into 16 small cakes, sized to fit onto the toasts. Coat each cake with some of the chopped pine nut and pepper mixture.
To assemble, place a goat cheese cake on each shallot toast. Toast in a 350F oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and arrange on a serving platter. Spoon the warm tomato salad on top, and drizzle with the juices from the tomatoes. Sprinkle the basil chiffonnade on top.