- For the sauce:
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 pound Bleu d'Auvergne, Roquefort or other blue cheese, cut into cubes
- For the escargots:
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil, or more as needed
- 1 can escargots (around 40 pieces), drained
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced, or to taste
- 1 package fresh baby spinach
To prepare the sauce: Pour the cream into a saucepan and bring it to a simmer, being careful not to scorch it. Add the cheese and whisk until it is melted and thoroughly combined with the cream. Remove from the heat and keep warm until ready to serve. The sauce will keep for 1 hour.
To prepare the escargots: Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until it ripples. Add the snails and garlic and cook, stirring and shaking the pan for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through. Remove the pan from the heat, add the spinach and toss with escargots until the spinach is just wilted.
Divide the snails and spinach evenly between 4 appetizer plates. Drizzle each with a generous amount of sauce and serve.