- Marinade and Pork:
- 1 1⁄2 cups fish sauce
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup prepared Asian oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 (3-pound) pork loin, trimmed and cut into 8 equal sections
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup reserved marinade
- 1 cup Passoa (passion fruit liqueur)
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons Japanese wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Combine fish sauce, honey, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, sake, sugar, pepper and five-spice powder and stir to mix thoroughly. Pour 1 cup of the marinade into another container and reserve for the sauce. Place pork slices into a shallow nonreactive pan in a single layer and pour remaining marinade over them, turning to coat on all sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
To prepare the sauce, heat oil in a sauté pan set over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook until the garlic is golden in color, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add reserved marinade, Passoa, water, wasabi paste and sugar. Stir until heated through, well blended and smooth. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Preheat grill or grill pan to high. Remove pork slices from marinade and discard marinade. Place pork on grill and cook to desired doneness, 1 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle the sauce over pork or serve it on the side. Makes 8 servings.