- For the salad
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 pounds alba clamshell and Baby Oyster mushrooms
- 2 quarts lightly packed savory greens, such as a combination of frisée, arugula, and cress
- 4 cups orange, grapefruit, or pomelo sections
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts or pecans, shelled and lightly toasted
- 6 ounces Bucheret (see Note below), sliced into 6 wedges
- Savory sprouts, such as daikon, corn, lentil, or fenugreek (optional), for garnish
- For the hazelnut vinaigrette
- 1⁄3 cup toasted hazelnut oil
- 1⁄3 cup grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- Drops of hot sauce, to taste
To prepare the mushrooms: Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, shallots, thyme, salt and pepper. Thread the mushrooms on thin metal or soaked wood skewers and arrange on a baking sheet. Brush with the olive oil mixture and grill over moderately hot coals on both sides until tender and golden brown. Remove the mushrooms from the skewers and slice, if desired.
To make the vinaigrette: In a bowl, whisk the oil, grapefruit juice, and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the mint and add drops of hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
To finish the salad: In a large bowl, toss the greens with the vinaigrette and arrange on plates with the citrus, grilled mushrooms, toasted nuts, and cheese. Garnish each serving with sprouts, if using, and serve immediately.
Note: You can use any soft ripening cheese you like, but we suggest Redwood Hill Farm’s Bucheret. Good cheese shops may carry it, or you can order directly at 707.823.8299 or www.redwoodhill.com.