Courtesy of Patrick Owens, lead bartender at Jaleo, Washington, DC
- 2 oz. Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- ½ oz. Campari
- 1 oz Date syrup (see recipe below)
- ¼ oz. fresh lime juice Sparkling water (Owens uses Spanish brand Cabreiora)
- For the date syrup:
- ¾ cup (around 6 or 7) organic Medjool dates, pitted and diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 ¼ tbsp Arbol chili powder
Add Bourbon, Campari, date syrup and lime juice to shaker filled with ice. Shake quickly, and pour over a tall chilled glass filled with new ice. Top with sparkling water.
To make the date syrup:
Bring dates, peppercorns, water and sugar to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer 15 minutes, and then add chili powder and simmer five additional minutes. Remove from stove, cover and allow to steep for two to three hours. Refrigerate overnight, and then strain through cheesecloth. Store the syrup in the refrigerator in a container with a tightly fitting lid for up to several weeks.