- For the baharat
- 1⁄4 cup black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 cup allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- For the kebabs
- 1 1⁄2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons baharat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ten 8- to 10-inch skewers (see above)
- 50 fresh black or Bing cherries, pitted
- Pita bread
- Tomato wedges
To prepare the baharat: In a spice grinder, grind the peppercorns and allspice together, transfer to a bowl, and blend with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Store in a jar in your spice rack, away from sunlight. It will lose pungency as time goes by, but properly stored, it will be good for many months.
To prepare the kebabs: In a medium bowl, toss the lamb, baharat, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt, and pepper together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill for 15 minutes on high heat. Skewer the lamb, interspersed with cherries, using 5 pieces of meat and 4 or 5 cherries per skewer. Place the skewers on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until the meat is browned and springy to the touch, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately on a platter with pita bread, tomato wedges, and black olives.