- * 2 tablespoons olive oil
- * 4 lamb shanks
- * Salt and pepper to taste
- * 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onion
- * 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- * 1 cup finely chopped celery
- * 1 cup seeded and finely chopped tomato
- * 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- * 6 ounces porter
- * 3 cups beef stock
- * 2 bay leaves
- * 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- * 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
Heat the olive oil on medium in a pan large enough to hold all four lamb shanks. Add the shanks, brown them well and season with salt and pepper. Add the celery, carrots and onion and sauté until the onion turns translucent. Add the tomato and garlic and stir well. Deglaze the pan with the porter and then add the beef stock, stirring well. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Cover the pan and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the meat is tender. If necessary, replenish the evaporated liquid with water while cooking.