Wine recommendation: This switch-hitting dish will pair well with a rich Chardonnay or a svelte Pinot Noir.
- 24 large shrimp, deveined
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Right before you leave for the outdoors, combine cilantro, olive oil, tequila, orange peel and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl, then pour into a zippered freezer bag. Add shrimp to bag. Note: You must cook and eat the shrimp that evening—the shrimp will spoil otherwise.
Just before you are ready to grill the shrimp, add lime juice to the shrimp marinade in the Ziploc. Reseal bag and shake to mix. Remove shrimp and place on skewers. Cook over fire for about three minutes per side, or just until shrimp are opaque.