- 2 1⁄2 pounds wild king salmon fillet, boned and skinned, or smoked wild salmon
- Kosher salt or Hawaiian alaea sea salt
- 2 Maui (or other sweet) onions, diced
- 4 large tomatoes, preferably a beefsteak variety, peeled and diced
- 6 green onions, trimmed and cut into very thin rounds
- Juice of 1 lime, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or Italian parsley
- Black pepper in a mill
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
If using fresh salmon, season it generously with salt. Set on a plate, cover lightly with foil or wax paper and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Remove the salmon from the refrigerator, rinse under cool water, pat dry with a clean tea towel and cut into small dice. (If using smoked sample, simply dice or crumble it into small pieces.) Put the salmon into a serving bowl, add the onions, tomatoes and green onions and toss gently. Add the lime juice and cilantro or parsley, season with black pepper and toss again. Taste and correct with salt and pepper.
Garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.