- 4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided, plus 1 tablespoon, melted, for greasing the baking dish
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush an ovenproof casserole with one tablespoon of the melted butter.
Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until very tender, about 1 hour. Cool to room temperature. Peel the potatoes and discard the skins. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and mash until smooth.
To the sweet potatoes, add ½ cup of the melted butter, the granulated sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup of melted butter, light brown sugar, flour, and pecans. Stir until combined and sprinkle over the casserole.
Bake the casserole until bubbly and heated through, about 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly before serving.