- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce, leaves separated, rinsed, and dried
- 1 head red leaf or butter lettuce, leaves separated, rinsed, and dried
- 1 medium fennel bulb, tough outer leaves removed, the bulb very thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced (optional)
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and plenty of pepper. Set aside.
Stack about a third of the lettuce leaves and roll them lengthwise. Cut them crosswise into thin (about 3/8-inch) slices. Put the cut lettuce into a large salad bowl and continue cutting until all of the lettuce has been sliced.
Add the fennel, scallions, and all of the herbs to the bowl of lettuce, sprinkle with several generous pinches of salt, and toss gently. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and gently toss to coat. Scatter the pine nuts over the top and serve immediately.