- For the Fish and Marinade:
- 4 6 Ounce Black Cod Fillet Portions
- ¼ Pound Brown Sugar
- ¼ Pound Granulated (White) Sugar
- ½ Pound Yellow Miso Paste
- ¼ Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Cooking Sake
- 1 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- For the Broth:
- 4 Pounds Button Mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Cup White Wine
- 2 Quarts Quality Chicken Stock
- 2 Ounces Dried Shiitakes
- For the Dumplings:
- 1 pound raw, peeled and deveined Shrimp
- 8 sprigs Cilantro, minced
- 2 Scallions
- 2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package Wonton Wrappers
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- For the Garnish:
- 8 Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms, quartered
- ¼ cup Mirin
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- For Serving
- 4 Baby Bok Choy, halved
- 1 Package Daikon Sprouts
- 1 Package Enoki Mushrooms, trimmed
11. Spoon 1 teaspoon shrimp filling into the center of each wonton wrapper, fold dough over filling to make a half moon, pull both edges together and seal with a dab of egg to form a classic tortellini shape.
12. Repeat with remaining ingredients and reserve.
Prepare the Shiitake mushroom garnish:
13. De-stem and quarter Shiitake mushrooms, discard stems.
14. Heat a small sauté pan with a bit of cooking oil and sauté mushrooms until some color is achieved.
15. Deglaze pan with mirin and soy and reduce until cooking liquid coats the mushrooms and the pan is dry. Reserve.
Cook dumplings, put ingredients together and serve:
16. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water well with salt.
17. Place the top oven rack as high as possible and preheat the top of the oven to high heat.
18. Place the four fish fillets on a baking sheet and spoon some marinade over each.
19. Place the sheet on the top rack of the oven and with the oven door open, brown the fish under the broiler until a rich golden brown color is achieved.
20. Place baking sheet on lower oven rack, reduce oven temperature to 350, and close oven door.
21. Allow fish to bake until just cooked through, 5-10 minutes more. (If tail pieces are almost cooked by the broiling process alone, set them aside before transferring other pieces to the oven.)
22. Meanwhile, bring the prepared broth to a boil in a clean stock pot.
23. Toss tortellini dumplings and bok choy into boiling water. Cook three minutes.
24. Drain and divide amongst four large, preheated bowls.
25. Place a piece of cooked fish into the center of each bowl.
26. Garnish with daikon sprouts, enoki mushrooms, cooked shiitakes and basil julienne.
27. Pour 6 ounces of hot shiitake mushroom broth over each dish and serve.