- Unsalted butter for greasing pans
- Sugar for sprinkling
- 12 rose geranium leaves
- 8 ounces whole eggs (approximately 4 large eggs)
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces (approximately 1 1⁄4 cups) sugar
- 8 ounces (approximately 2 cups) flour
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease with butter a 12-insert muffin pan or one 9- to 10-inch-round cake pan. Sprinkle the bottom(s) with sugar and line with geranium leaves.
Break the eggs into a cup and weigh. Combine the rose water and vanilla in a medium bowl, add the eggs, and beat lightly.
Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light in color. With the machine running on low speed, slowly add the egg mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake; 20-25 minutes for muffins, 30-35 for a cake. Let cool, loosen around the edges, and invert to remove. Cool on a wire rack.
Serve with your favorite fruit sauce, such as black currant. Makes 12 individual cakes or one 9- or 10-inch round cake.