- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- Juice of one lime
- Olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Serrano chili, seeded and sliced (use rubber gloves to avoid stinging)
- Black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (found in the ethnic section of supermarkets)
Chop 3/4 of the onion and slice the remaining into rings. Marinate the shrimp in the chopped onions, garlic, lime juice and pinch of salt for 30 minutes.
Coat the bottom of a medium saucepan with the olive oil. Add the shrimp and marinade. Layer pan with tomatoes, cilantro, chilies and rings of onions. Add black pepper to taste. Pour coconut milk over the layers and cook over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until the shrimp is well-cooked (will be pink and curled.)
Serve with Brazilian rice.