- 1 cup good-quality balsamic vinegar
- Fresh arugula (rocket), washed,
- dried and trimmed
- 31⁄2 ounces thinly sliced smoked
- ostrich (brentwoodtradingroup.
- com) or smoked duck breast
- 4 hulled, thinly sliced strawberries
- 1 ounce shaved Gruyère cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
First make a balsamic reduction: heat the vinegar in a heavybottomed non-reactive skillet over medium heat until it reduces in volume by half to 3⁄4 and has thickened slightly. Let cool. When you are ready to serve, divide the arugula between four appetizer plates, placing a mound of the greens in the center of each. Arrange equal portions of the ostrich or duck slices on top, and garnish with strawberry slices and Gruyere shavings. Drizzle the balsamic reduction and olive oil over the top and serve.