- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small spring onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 ¼ cups light chicken stock or water
- 1 ¼ cups fresh peas
- 1 ¼ cups tightly packed fresh pea leaves
- 14 leaves fresh mint (no stems)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a medium nonreactive soup pot over medium heat. Add the spring onion and garlic and sweat until soft. Do not allow to color.
Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the peas and simmer until the peas are tender. Pour the contents into a blender and process on high speed until smooth. Add the raw pea leaves and process again until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup to a nonreactive container, cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
When ready to serve, in a small skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels. To serve, ladle the soup into stemmed glasses or small cups and garnish each serving with some of the lardons.