- 1 medium white cabbage (1½ pounds), finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 2 ounces bacon, approximately 3 strips
Using a large pot, bring water to a rolling boil. Add cabbage. Lower temperature and simmer for 30 minutes, or until cabbage is soft.
While cabbage is cooking, place bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook until just crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. When bacon is cool enough to handle, coarsely chop into small pieces.
Once cabbage is cooked, use a colander to strain off liquid. Place cabbage in a nonreactive bowl. Add vinegar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Add chopped bacon and combine. Taste salad and adjust vinegar and seasonings, if needed. Transfer to platter and serve warm.