Savory comfort food dishes of the fondue variety nicely marry the flavors of beer and cheese. The below recipe was adapted from Fergus Henderson of St. John. –Vanessa Chang
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- ¾ cup dark beer like a porter or stout
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound Quicke's English Cheddar, grated
- 4 to 8 pieces toast
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When melted, add flour. Stir and cook over heat until nutty in aroma and golden in color (about 5 minutes). Whisk in mustard powder, cayenne Worcestershire sauce and beer. When well combined, add the cheese. Turn the heat to low. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
Spread this mixture thickly over toast and put under the broiler until the rarebit bubbles and edges are crispy.