- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons slivered garlic
- 1 1⁄2 pounds fresh Trumpet Royale and Alba Clamshell mushrooms, wiped clean and thickly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (or canned diced tomatoes in juice)
- 6 cups rich chicken or mushroom stock
- 1⁄3 cup Amontillado sherry
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large deep saucepan and cook the onions and garlic over moderate heat until they are lightly golden.
While onion mixture is cooking, sauté the mushrooms in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a separate sauté pan over high heat until they are cooked through and lightly browned. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, and stock to the onion mixture. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in the sherry and zest and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Serve the soup in warm bowls or mugs, garnished with a good sprinkling of cheese and chopped fresh herbs.