1.5 lbs. fresh pasta dough
2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, sliced thin
6 ounces leeks, cut into small dice
2 ounces vermouth
½ cup chicken stock
8 ounces sea urchin
8 ounces Jonah crab meat, legs only
3 ounces butter
½ lemon zested and reserved for juice
1 pinch dried Calabrian chili
Prepare the Spaghetti
1. Roll out pasta dough into thin sheets using a hand cranked machine or kitchen aid attachment.
2. Using a chitarra - a wooden stringed tool from Abruzzo - and a rolling pin, lay the sheets over the chitarra strings and “cut” the pasta into strands. Set aside.
3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
4. Add pasta and cook until tender but still slightly firm to the bite, 2-3 minutes.
Prepare the sea urchin and crab
5. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil followed by the garlic.
6. Sweat garlic lightly, then add leeks.
7. Cook on low to medium heat until tender, then add vermouth.
8. Add chicken stock immediately after vermouth and reduce slightly.
9. Add sea urchin and break it up slightly.
10. Add crab at the very end when dish is off the heat.
Combine spaghetti and sauce
11. Add cooked pasta to sauce with a touch of the pasta cooking water.
12. Add butter and emulsify slowly into the sauce.
13. Finish with lemon juice, lemon zest, chives and Calabrian chilies.
14. Divide pasta amongst the bowls and serve.