April 3, 2006—At a New York event attended by 60 of the city’s top wine and food writers, Gallo Family Vineyards presented eight of America’s artisanal food producers with awards honoring their gastronomic creations. The winners were selected from among 180 enties, explained restaurant consultant Clark Wolf. Wolf, who was also one of the contest’s judges, emceed the event. Stephanie and Gina Gallo, granddaughters of Ernest and Julio Gallo, respectively, were on hand to salute the winners.
“Great food and great wine have always been natural complements,” Stephanie Gallo, Gallo Family Vineyards’ director of marketing, told attendees in her opening remarks. “And [the Gallo family] understands the hard work, dedication, and passion that it takes to make a great product. This is why we created these awards.”
The afternoon’s luncheon, created by Chef Bill Telepan at his eponymous Manhattan restaurant, was comprised almost entirely of the winners’ products. The winners were:
- Spicy Flax Crackers from Yaya’s Raw Rah, Outstanding Bread/Baked Good
- Cato Corner Farm’s Hooligan Cheese, Outstanding Dairy
- Futility Farm’s T-Bone Steak, Outstanding Meat and Charcuterie
- Hancock Gourmet Lobster Co.’s Pemaquid Point Lobster Pot Pie, Outstanding Fish and Seafood
- American Spoon’s Strawberry Butter, Outstanding Condiment
- Cannoli Cheesecake from Olde World Cheesecake Company, Outstanding Confectionary Good
- Spruce Mountain Blueberries’ Blueberry Vinegar, Outstanding Oil and Vinegar
- Dilly Beans from Claire’s Country Garden, Outstanding Fruit or Vegetable
A special “Never Stop Growing” award was presented to Cato Corner Farm because, as Stephanie Gallo explained, “We saw a lot of parallels between how this company got started, and how our company got started.” Cato’s matriarch, Elizabeth Gillman, began producing cheese almost a decade ago as a means of keeping the family farm sustainable. Her son, Mark, left his job as a teacher to help his mother at the farm.
For more information on the judges, winners, and the winning products, visit www.gallofamily.com.