These broiled chicken skewers may become a part of your cooking repertoire given how easy they can be prepared in advance. The spiced yogurt marinade ensures that the chicken will be succulent and juicy. These can also be prepared on the grill.
The accompanying herbed yogurt chutney is creamy and versatile. It can be a condiment for fritters and French fries, a side for grilled meat or drizzled gently atop of roasted potatoes. Dip your chicken tikka skewers into the chutney and enjoy alongside a glass of chilled white wine.
- 1 cup full-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
In large bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, ginger, salt, chili flakes, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red chili powder, if desired. Add chicken and stir until well-coated. Cover bowl and marinate in refrigerator from 8–24 hours.
Position oven rack 5–6 inches below broiler. Bring chicken to room temperature. Line baking tray with aluminum foil, and brush with oil. Thread chicken onto 10- to 12-inch metal skewers, shaking off excess marinade. Place on tray, leaving ¼ inch between each skewer.
Broil chicken skewers for 5–7 minutes per side, or until browned in spots. Flip skewers and broil 5–7 minutes. Transfer to platter. Serve with herbed yogurt chutney. Serves 4.
- ½ cup cilantro, stalks and leaves
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup full-fat yogurt
- ½ small garlic clove
- 1 small Thai chili, destemmed (remove seeds, if you prefer less heat)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- ¼ cup ice water (optional)
Wash herbs and pat dry. Place all ingredients in food processor or blender. Purée until smooth. For thinner consistency, add ice water by tablespoon.
A mix of spicy and creamy nuances calls for a well-balanced South African Chardonnay. Enjoy with the De Wetshof 2018 Bon Vallon Chardonnay from Robertson wine region.