Few things get people fired up like arguing over what ingredients belong in “real” guacamole. Here’s our take on the classic avocado dip.
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 2 jalapeños, seeded, deveined and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Salt, to taste
Combine onion, jalapeños and lime juice in bowl. Scoop pulp from avocados, and mash coarsely into onion mixture. Add tomato and cilantro. Salt generously, to taste.
Boutari 2015 Assyrtiko (Santorini)
To pair wine with guacamole and other avocado-based dishes, acidity is key. Choose a bottle with citric crispness that plays to the limes present on most Mexican tables. This wine sings of citrus and minty herbs, with a slightly briny note that’s common to Assyrtiko from Santorini.