Recipe courtesy Erin Sullivan, head bartender, The Third Man, New York City
If you like Mexican hot chocolate, here’s your winter drink. Bold Bourbon is balanced by cocoa and the kick of cayenne. The name refers to Fernet Brancamenta, a bitter amaro softened with mint.
- 6 ounces hot chocolate (made with powdered cocoa mixed with equal parts water and sweetened condensed milk)
- 2 pinches cayenne, plus additional for garnish
- 1 ounce Fernet Brancamenta
- 1 ounce Four Roses Bourbon
- 1 mint sprig, for garnish
- 1 marshmallow, for garnish
Heat hot chocolate with water, condensed milk and cayenne. Pour into mug. Add the Brancamenta and Bourbon. Garnish with the mint sprig and a marshmallow sprinkled with cayenne.