Recipe from Food 52 Genius Recipes by Kristen Migliore (10 Speed Press, 2015)
It seems we can’t get enough of kale, the hearty, vitamin-packed green that keeps popping up in gardens and restaurants everywhere. This bright-colored salad is from Northern Spy Food Co. in New York City.
- 2 cups peeled and cubed kabocha, butternut or other winter squash
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup halved almonds
- 4 bunches kale (preferably lacinato or dinosaur kale), ribs removed and leaves finely sliced (about 10 cups)
- 1 cup crumbled or finely chopped aged Cheddar, like Cabot Clothbound (or substitute Parmesan)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce pecorino or other hard cheese, for shaving (optional)
Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Toss squash cubes in just enough olive oil to coat (about ½ cup). Season with salt and pepper. Spread cubes on baking sheet, leaving space between each. Roast until tender and caramelized, about 40 minutes, tossing with spatula every 10–15 minutes. Toast almonds on baking sheet in same oven until they begin to smell nutty, about 10 minutes, tossing once. Let cool.
In large mixing bowl, toss kale with roasted almonds, cheddar and squash. Season to taste with lemon juice, the remaining olive oil, salt and pepper.
Serve family style in large salad bowl. Garnish with shaved pecorino cheese (optional). Serves 8.