Courtesy Salvatore Tafuri, head bartender, The Loyal, New York City
At The Loyal, this sophisticated variation on a Manhattan is served with a shot of rosé Champagne on the side. Note: to create a “smoky cherry,” Tafuri soaks brandied cherries overnight in a smoky Islay Scotch. Use regular brandied cherries, if preferred.
- 2 ounces overprood rye, preferably Rittenhouse
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- 1½ ounces Brut Rosé
- Brandied cherry (for garnish)
- Orange peel (for garnish)
In mixing glass, stir together first three ingredients with ice. Strain into martini glass. Top with Champagne. Garnish with cherry and orange peel.