Courtesy Shelby Allison and Paul McGee, co-owners, Lost Lake, Chicago
For guests who want a tiki-style drink but want to explore spirits beyond rum, Allison and McGee say that the mezcal version of the mai tai is a staple at Lost Lake.
- 2 ounces mezcal, like Banhez Joven
- 1 ounce lime juice and lime hull
- ¾ ounce orgeat, like Small Hands Foods Orgeat
- ½ ounce Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao
- ¼ ounce Demerara syrup (2 parts Demerara sugar: 1 part hot water)
- Large mint bouquet, orange peel and flower, for garnish
Add all ingredients (except garnishes) to cocktail shaker with cubed ice. Shake for 5 seconds. Pour all ingredients, unstrained, into double Old Fashioned glass, and fill with crushed ice. Garnish with large mint bouquet, orange peel and flower.