A touch of Sherry vinegar adds a soft, bright note to keep the dish from tasting too sweet. Green pumpkin seeds add crunch and color.
- 3 acorn squash, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Place squash and apples in enameled cast-iron (or other nonstick) roasting pan. Drizzle butter on top. Toss with salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 375˚F. Remove aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes to brown apples and squash.
When squash and apples have about 5 minutes left to bake, heat a cast-iron or copper skillet to medium-high heat. Add pumpkin seeds and toast 3 minutes, stirring them to avoid scorching.
Remove squash and apples from oven. Drizzle with Sherry vinegar, and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Transfer to serving dish or serve in roasting pan. Serves 12.