Keep your starter simple. This basic salad is dressed up with buttery crabmeat and a spicy, creamy Old Bay salad dressing to complement the seafood.
- 4 ounces butter lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into small matchsticks
- 8 radishes, sliced paper thin
- ¾cup Buttermilk Old Bay Dressing*
- 8 ounces lump white crabmeat
In large bowl, toss lettuce, carrots and radishes. Divide into 8 dishes. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top each with dressing and 1 ounce crabmeat. Pass additional dressing at the table. Serves 8.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Coleman’s dry mustard powder
Whisk together all ingredients in medium glass bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. May be made 1 day in advance.
When the time comes to sit down at the table, start your clambake with a bright California bubbly. The toasted apple flavors and creaminess of Gloria Ferrer’s NV Brut from Sonoma County hold up to the richness of crabmeat on top of greens with a buttermilk salad dressing.