Courtesy Frasca Food & Wine, Boulder, CO
The earthy sweetness of beets is accentuated by roasting them in salt and spices like black pepper, coriander, and cardamom. Using both red and yellow beets adds and extra pop of color to this side dish.
- 6 medium red beets, washed
- 6 medium yellow beets, washed
- 6 cups Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons whole black
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole green cardamom pods
Heat oven to 350˚F. Place beets in large, deep baking dish, and cover completely with salt, peppercorns, coriander and cardamom. Cook for approximately 2 hours, or until beets are fork tender. Let cool for approximately 30 minutes. Remove beets from salt, and peel. Cut into ½-inch cubes, and serve in a large serving bowl. Serves 8.