Courtesy Our California Table, Brian Talley
One of Matthews’ signature sides, this dish comes together quickly and feeds a crowd. The noodles create a crunch that makes it fun to eat and add a bit of heartiness, and sturdy cabbage can stand up to dressing for a while without wilting, making this an excellent choice for any type of gathering.
- 8 cups chopped Napa cabbage, chopped
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 (3-ounce) package of chicken-flavored instant ramen noodles, uncooked and crumbled (reserve seasoning packet)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup slivered or sliced toasted almonds
Combine cabbage, scallions, noodles, sesame seeds and cilantro in large bowl. Sprinkle with ½ packet of ramen seasoning.
In separate bowl, combine sugar, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and remaining ramen seasoning. Mix until sugar dissolves.
Dress cabbage mixture with about ¾ of dressing 1 hour before serving. Add more, to taste, and season with salt and pepper. Top with toasted slivered or sliced almonds. Serves 8.
For a real sense of place, try El Lugar Blanc Pinot Noir from the Edna Valley. This white Pinot Noir has crisp pear notes that will lift the earthy cabbage while floral qualities will pair nicely with almonds and cilantro.