Raw, thinly sliced Brussels sprouts are crisp and refreshing. Toasty, nutty flavors from aged cheese and hazelnuts balance bright lemon vinaigrette. Keep it simple, because the sprouts really don’t need much added to make a perfect side for Perfect Pan-Seared Scallops and a glass of Riesling.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarse mustard
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup loosely packed aged Gouda shavings
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Black pepper, to taste
Core sprouts and remove tough or discolored outer leaves. Slice thinly crosswise, until all sprouts have been cut into small ribbons. Toss with salt, and break up any leaves that stick together.
In small bowl or cup, whisk lemon juice and mustard with fork. Carefully drizzle oil into mixture in slow, steady stream, whisking continuously, until emulsified. Add sprouts and toss. Season to taste with more salt, if needed. Divide among plates. Top with cheese, nuts and pepper. Serves 4.