Courtesy Lidia’s Celebrate Like an Italian (Knopf, 2017)
Restaurant owner and celebrity TV chef Lidia Bastianich shares her secrets for a great dinner party in her latest book, Lidia’s Celebrate Like an Italian. Included is this gem of a sauce that’s easy to make and perfect for any of the recipes featured here.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 leafy stalks fresh basil
In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until edges just turn golden, about 1 minute. Season with red pepper flakes, then add tomatoes. Add 1 cup hot water to tomato can, swirl then add to pan. Bring to simmer, and add salt and basil. Cook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and discard basil.