Sosaties (Lamb Skewers) with Smoky Red Salsa
Recipe courtesy Reuben Riffel, Chef de Cuisine and Restaurateur, Reuben’s Restaurant, locations in Franschhoek, Cape Town, Robertson, Paternoster
- 2 onions, chopped, plus 1 onion, quartered (optional)
- 3½ tablespoons canola oil or butter
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- Grated ginger, equal in volume to garlic
- 3½ tablespoons curry powder
- 2½ teaspoons turmeric
- 2 cups malt vinegar
- 16 ounces smooth apricot jam
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- 4½ pounds leg of lamb, deboned, cleaned and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4-8 fresh bay leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 pound dried apricots (optional)
- 2-4 peppers of your choosing, cut into pieces (optional)
- Smoky Red Salsa
To make marinade: Sauté onions in oil or butter for 4 minutes, or until soft and golden, but not brown. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder and turmeric. Sauté another 2 minutes. Stir in malt vinegar, apricot jam and salt, and heat until boiling. Remove from heat. Let marinade cool to room temperature.
Place meat in bowl. Add marinade and bay leaves. Toss to coat meat. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 12 hours, preferably 2–3 days. Stir meat every 8–12 hours.
To cook: Skewer meat, adding dried apricots and pieces of onion and peppers between lamb cubes, if desired. Braai for about 10 minutes, turning a few times in closed, hinged cooking basket. Serve with Smoky Red Salsa. Makes 10 skewers.
- 1 red onion, unpeeled
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 ripe tomato
- ⅓ red pepper
- ½ long red chili
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt, to taste
Place onion, garlic, tomato, pepper and chili on grill. Char until completely blackened, approximately 15 minutes. Let cool. Peel skins from all items. Remove seeds from tomato, pepper and chili. Chop all ingredients into a ⅛-inch dice. Add lime juice, vinegar, sugar and salt. Yields about 1 cup.