This bright-green spread is a break from heavy, cheese-laden dips. Bringing together the freshness of basil and peas and the brightness of lemon juice, it’s best served with fresh crudité alongside a zesty glass of white wine or rosé.
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces fresh spring peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups tightly packed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Combine chickpeas, spring peas, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in food processor. Process into thick paste. Scrape down sides of container. With processor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until spreadable. Transfer to airtight plastic container and refrigerate. May be made up to 2 days ahead. Makes 2¼ cups.
With the freshness of peas and the basil, go for a lighter-style, veggie-friendly white wine. A bright Verdejo from Rueda, a zesty California Sauvignon Blanc or an Austrian Grüner Veltliner will welcome these spring flavors.