Recipe courtesy Carrie McCabe-Johnston, co-owner, Nightingale, Minneapolis, MN
Carrie McCabe-Johnston, co-owner of food and cocktail lounge Nightingale in Minneapolis, has included mulled wine on her winter menu since 2013, and has seen its popularity grow.
“I had a woman call in October to see if it had hit the menu yet. It gets so cold in Minneapolis in the winter months that [mulled wine] is a perfect warming drink, ” McCabe-Johnston recently said on a day when the temperature was -13°F.
- 4 bottles Spanish Grenache
- 3 oranges, zested and juiced
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup Cointreau
- 8 cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole aniseed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 canela sticks (or substitute cinnamon)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 (3-inch) piece ginger, peeled and sliced
Simmer all ingredients together about 15–30 minutes, until well-seasoned and flavored. Strain before serving.