Courtesy EAST Hotel, Beijing, China
These versatile pickles work with either a fruity red or zesty white wine. Feel free to adjust the red pepper flakes, depending on your desired heat. The pickles are great tucked into pork lettuce wraps or served alongside Korean fried chicken, but are a pretty addictive snack on their own.
- 6¾ ounces rice wine vinegar
- 5 ounces white or red wine
- 1 ounce malt vinegar or white vinegar
- 4 ounces honey
- 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- 1 English cucumber, sliced thin into rounds
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
In small saucepan with ½ cup water, add all ingredients except cucumber and onion. Bring to boil, then remove from heat. Toss cucumber and red onion slices, and add to mason jar or container with tight-fitting lid. Pour vinegar mixture into jar and let infuse in refrigerator. Pickles will be ready to eat after 12 hours, but flavor will develop for up to 7 days.