“People often think they have to sacrifice something when going Meatless Monday. Not so with my Wok-Stirred Vegetables and Rice Noodle Salad. It’s easy, fast and loaded with flavor. The combination of crisp wok-cooked vegetables with warm succulent noodles makes it incredibly satisfying.” -Ming Tsai, Chef, Author and Owner of Blue Ginger in Boston
- 8 ounces rice stick noodles
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
- ½ head white cabbage, halved, cored and cut into ½-inch dice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ cup packed basil leaves, cut into ¼-inch strips
Place the noodles in a large bowl and fill it with hot water to cover. When the noodles have softened, after about 15 minutes, drain, return to the bowl and set aside.
Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger and scallion whites and stir-fry until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the cabbage and stir-fry until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper, add the peppers and carrots, and toss. Add 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce and the vinegar, toss, remove from the heat, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
Add half of the vegetables, the remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, the sesame oil and basil to the noodles. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the noodle mixture to a large serving platter, top with the remaining vegetables and garnish with the scallion greens. Serve immediately. Serves 6.